Musica Sacra: A Vital Resource

You may have seen the link to MusicaSacra in the right menu margin. Just what is MusicaSacra? Let me post some information from their website and you'll soon see!

Q: I’m a Catholic musician and I should know chant. I know that. I’m embarrassed to say that I can’t even read the notation!

A: That’s one of the reasons we hold the colloquium. Most participants don’t have prior experience in chant notation. We have classes that start at the very beginning. You will not feel intimidated at all. Quite the reverse: people here love to teach and inspire.

Q: Goodness, I don’t know how any of this music even goes. I’ve heard bits and pieces but I will know far less than everyone else.

A: This is a journey for all of us. There is way too much music for people to get to know in their lifetimes. In some way, all of our knowledge is spotty, and we all have to start somewhere. The experts at the Colloquium love nothing more than to teach.

Q: I’m looking at the musical lineup and I can’t fathom how I can sing this after just a few rehearsals. Forget it!

A: You won’t be asked to sing it all. There are 5 polyphony choirs and 5 chant choirs. We’ll divide up the work. Some people will more quickly master this material than others. But there is strength in numbers here. You will be surprised how quickly you will catch on. In any case, one reason for the Colloquium is to stretch what all of us can do.

The website of the Church Music Association of America (CMAA), MusicaSacra, is a gold mine! It contains resources of every kind for Colloquia, Member Tools, Chant, Teaching Aids, Sacred Music Articles, Church Documents (including the entire Missale Romanum 1962 which I also have linked), Choral Music and on and on. CMAA also publishes Sacred Music magazine. And finally, gifts to CMAA are tax-deductible.

If you are a Church Musician or just love Sacred music, please go to their website and make sure your Choir Director is aware of this gem!

Comments