Decent Films Guide by Steven D. Greydanus: "High Noon (1952)" - DVD

I can't presume the age of those who visit this site. So, if you check out my blogger profile and see the movie "High Noon" listed under the favorites, you may not have a clue what it is about or who starred in it.

Steven D. Greydanus of Decent Films Guide reviews the 1952 epic now on DVD starring Gary Cooper, Thomas Mitchell, (a very young) Lloyd Bridges, Katy Jurado, Grace Kelly, Otto Kruger, Lon Chaney, Jr., Henry Morgan and Ian MacDonald. The movie was directed by Fred Zinnemann who also directed "A Man for All Seasons" (another of my favorites and "a movie for all people").

Needless to say, Mr. Greydanus does a splendid job analyzing this masterpiece in which an old pendulum clock plays such a pivotal role. He gives it the recognition it deserves. And, in a case of sheer serendipity, I feel the ballad opening sung by Tex Ritter is essential to the film as well. I couldn't imagine the movie without it!

In the interest of fair disclosure, I must admit to having a classic "Regulator" schoolhouse clock hanging on the wall at this moment. It does not bias my evaluation of this movie, however!

Comments