How and Where Do I Learn to Teach Latin?

After reading this story, I wanted to return to this subject as Latin is definitely coming back into vogue. Not only is the language the parent of the Romance languages, it is of immeasurable help in learning English vocabulary, in understanding terms in Law, Medicine and other fields, and, of course, for the Extraordinary Form of the Mass.

I surveyed the "field" so to speak in the greater Baltimore area of those Universities with which I am familiar. Many offer excellent programs in the Classics with Latin interspersed, but I hoped to find a course of study with a Degree in Latin suitable to teach the language at the secondary level.

At the University of Maryland, College Park, the Classics Department has such a course of study. Note that there is an undergraduate Latin major which leads to a degree suitable for teaching Latin. In addition, the University offers a Master's program which is probably more suitable for instruction at a Seminary.

I am sure there are many programs such as this nationwide, however, this is the most relevant I could find locally. Note that I didn't survey the programs in the D.C. area.


Comments