Catholic Review Online: Baseball home opener on Good Friday ends 20-year attendance streak

Marylynn G. Hewitt's story carried by CNS and posted in the Catholic Review Online begins this way:

Michael Ochab’s 20-year streak of rooting for the Detroit Tigers as part of the opening day crowd is coming to an end. Home opening day this year falls on Good Friday, April 10.

“It’s a no-brainer for me,” said the 47-year-old lifetime Hamtramck resident. “He died for us on that cross.”
I have to tip my hat to Mr. Ochab. Good Friday is just another day now especially for big time sports and entertainment. Fr. Ed Vilkauskas conveys my sentiments exactly:

Five blocks from Comerica, Spiritan Father Ed Vilkauskas, pastor of Old St. Mary Church in Detroit’s Greektown, said having opening day on Good Friday “is kind of appalling.

“I think it’s a pretty big affront to Christians,” he said. “It’s one of the most sacred and solemn days of the Christian calendar and to do that is insensitive to our faith.

“Not too many years ago, stores actually closed noon to 3 p.m. Even banks were closed,” said Father Vilkauskas.
Oh, and last year, the 2008 NCAA men's basketball regionals were held on Good Friday, March 21st, and I'm sure the ratings were really super. That is one tournament I tuned out...for the reason given by Fr. Vilkauskas.

Comments